Cambelt/Timing Belt replacement in Dorking, Surrey
What is a cambelt?
- A cambelt, or timing belt, is an essential part of every vehicle and if kept it good condition and maintained correctly, will provide minimal vibration, smooth engine operation, as well as increased fuel efficiency.
What does a cambelt do?
- The cambelt keeps the vehicle’s camshaft and crankshaft turning at the right speed, relative to each other. In other words, it is the main component for ensuring perfect timing between the top half and bottom half of the engine. If this timing jumps, or the cambelt snaps, it can cause catastrophic damage to internal parts of the engine. For example: Bent valves, cylinder head and camshaft damage, piston and cylinder wall damage.
How do i know if my cambelt needs replacing?
- It can be difficult to know if your cambelt requires replacing. All vehicle manufacturers have very specific time recommendations for cambelt replacement. These can vary between 40,000 and 100,000 miles, and from 5-10 years. Keeping within these recommended times is essential in regards to maintaining your vehicle, as over time, a cambelt, generally made of tough, thick rubber, can deteriorate and crack, potentially leading to the belt snapping.
- Signs of a worn cambelt/timing belt:
- Ticking noise from engine
- Engine will not start
- Engine misfire
- Rough idling
- Excessive black smoke from exhaust
- If you aren’t certain or need help in finding out when your vehicle’s cambelt replacement is due, please do not hesitate in contacting one of the team here at Tutts as they will be happy to assist with any query you may have.
How much does it cost to replace my cambelt?
- With there being many variations of cambelt, there is also many variations on price, dependent on engine size, prices of parts etc.
- Here at Tutts of Dorking, we pride ourselves on providing fair and competitive quotes. If you would like a quote to replace the cambelt on your vehicle, please contact us in any way that suits you, providing us with the vehicle registration so we are able to send you an accurate quote. Our technicians are fully trained in cambelt replacements, and by using modern and reliable equipment, we can assure that all work is carried out to the highest of standards.